Super Eagles of Nigeria skipper, John Obi Mikel and one of the country’s most successful acts of all time, Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, known professionally as Wizkid are two Nigerian pride. Both are well-known not just in Africa, but around the world.

Mikel boasts of 13 major honours including the English Premier League (2), FA Cup (4), UEFA Champions League, Europa League, Olympic bronze and Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). The 31 year old currently plies his trade in far away China with Tianjin TEDA. He has spent 14 years as a senior professional footballer.

Olympic medalist, Mikel Obi. IMAGE CREDIT: Premium Times Ng

Wizkid, only 28, meanwhile is already being compared to the legendary Fela Anikulapo Kuti. Starboy possesses an impressive collection of hit songs, some of which include Soco, Manya, Ojuelegba, Pakurumo, Love My Baby and Holla At Your Boy.

Wizkid. IMAGE CREDIT: Facebook.com/wizkidmusic/

In September last year, Wizkid was widely reported to have made history as the first African artiste to headline a sold-out show at the Royal Albert Hall in London. May this year, he also made history with his sold-out performance at the AfroRepublik concert which held at the 20,000 capacity 02 Arena also in London.

As well, his shows on the continent is usually full to the brim. The afro-beat singer was treated like a king in Uganda when he was in the East Africa country to perform late last year.

Nigeria’s first and only chiefly sports and entertainment media platform, Top Media Nigeria conducted a poll on Twitter on who is more famous between Mikel and Wizkid – with focus on Africa alone – and the social media audience had their say.

In the poll, Wizkid came out on top distantly. The Surulere-born singer garnered 92%, while Jos-born midfield maestro, Mikel, collected the remaining 8%.

Musicians Vs Athletes

The outcome of the poll did not just place one Nigerian superstar over another, it probably also imply musicians are ahead of sportspeople in terms of fame. The likes of Beyoncé, Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande all have more Instagram followers than any U.S. sports great. Ditto Mikel versus Wizkid. Wizkid has 5.8 million followers on Instagram compared to Mikel’s 753.8k. On Twitter too, Mikel has 160,702 followers while Wizkid has over 4 million followers.

 

Don’t forget to bookmark and follow us on our social media channels.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here